- Lecturer, School of Public Health, Tel Aviv University
- Senior Researcher, Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research
ד"ר מיכל בנדרלי
Michal Benderly, PhD is a senior research scientist at the Gertner Institute for Epidemiology & Health Policy Research in the field of Cardiovascular Epidemiology. Previously she headed the Computer and Data Management unit and the Clinical Trials unit at the Israel Society for Prevention of Heart Attacks (currently The Israeli Association for Cardiovascular Trials).
Dr. Benderly obtained her Epidemiology PhD degree from Tel-Aviv University. She is also trained in Computer Sciences and has extensive experience in statistical programing and modeling.
In 2012 Dr. Benderly joined the senior faculty staff of the department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Sackler Faculty of Medicine where she teaches a course on clinical trials. She also serves as a member of the School of Public Health Thesis committee since 2011.
Dr. Benderly's main research focus is cardiovascular epidemiology. Her research activities include collaborations with Israeli and international groups including: The Fibrinogen Studies Collaboration (FSC), and the Cholesterol Treatment Trialist’ Collaborative (CTTC). In 2010, Dr. Benderly co-founded the Israeli Adult Congenital Heart Disease Research group.
- Epidemiology of coronary heart disease (CHD) and CHD risk factors
- The characteristics and treatment of women with CHD
- The interaction between risk factors and concomitant disease (eg diabetes, renal failure) among CHD patients
- Primary and secondary prevention of CHD and heart failure
- Adults with congenital heart disease
- Health disparities
Selected publications since 2010
- Benderly M, Boyko V, Goldbourt U. Relation of Body Mass Index to Mortality among Men with Coronary Heart Disease. Am J Cardiol 2010; 106:297-304.
- Streifler JY, Benderly M, Molshatzki N, Bornstein N, Tanne D. Off-hours admission for acute stroke is not associated with worse outcome – A nationwide Israeli stroke project. Eur J Neurol. 2012; 19:643-647.
- Grossman A, Prokupetz A, Benderly M, Wand O, Assa A, Kalter-Leibovici O. Pulmonary artery pressure in young healthy subjects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2012; 25:357-360
- Schwartzenberg S, Benderly M, Malnick S, George J, Goland S. The "obesity paradox": does it persist among Israeli patients with decompensated heart failure? A subanalysis of the Heart Failure Survey in Israel (HFSIS). J Card Fail. 2012;18:62-67
- Korn-Lubetzki I, Molshatzki N, Benderly M, Steiner I. The Relatively Good Outcome of Cerebellum-Brainstem Ischemic Strokes. Eur Neurol. 2013;69:8-13
- Lawrence YR, Morag O, Benderly M, Boyko V, Novikov I, Dicker AP, Goldbourt U, Behar S, Barchana M, Wolf I. Association between metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus and prostate cancer risk. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013;16:181-186
- Benderly M, Haim M, Boyko V, Goldbourt U. Socioeconomic Status Indicators and Incidence of Heart Failure among Men and Women with Coronary Heart Disease. J Card Fail. 2013;19:117-124
- Eisen A, Benderly M, Goldbourt U, Haim M. Is serum uric acid level an independent predictor of heart failure among patients with coronary artery disease? Clin Cardiol. 2013;36:110-116
- Grossman A, Benderly M, Prokupetz A, Gordon B, Kalter-Leibovici O. M-mode echocardiographic values in a cohort of young healthy individuals. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2013 Jul 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Grossman A, Benderly M, Prokupetz A, Gordon B, Kalter-Leibovici O. Correlation between spirometry values and pulmonary artery pressure in young healthy subjects. Respir Care. 2014;59:371-374
- Oster HS, Benderly M, Hoffman M, Cohen E, Shotan A, Mittelman M. Mortality in heart failure with worsening anemia: a national study. Isr Med Assoc J. 2013;15:368-372.
- Eisen A, Benderly M, Behar S, Goldbourt U, Haim M. Inflammation and future risk of symptomatic heart failure in patients with stable coronary artery disease. Am Heart J. 2014;167:707-714. (Equal contribution of first two authors)