Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health, Tel Aviv University
פרופ' חיתאם מוחסן
Prof. Muhsen is a senior lecturer on tenure track position at the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine in the School of Public Health in Tel Aviv University. She joined the faculty in October 2013.
Prof. Muhsen started her career as a pediatric and public health nurse in Arab villages in northern Israel. In 2005, she completed her master's degree in Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (with distinction) and in 2011, she completed her Ph.D. degree (Mentor Prof. Daniel Cohen). Prof. Muhsen completed a 2-year (2011-2013) postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for Vaccine Development at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (MD, USA), under the mentorship of Prof. Myron M. Levine.
In October 2013, she established her research group and laboratory at the School of Public Health in Tel Aviv University.
Helicobacter pylori, Enteric Infections and their Role in Health and Disease
Helicobacter pylori infection is acquired during early childhood. It causes chronic gastritis, which mostly remains asymptomatic; however in a small portion of the infected people H. pylori causes peptic ulcers and gastric cancer. Our research focuses on the role of H. pylori in extragastric diseases such as iron deficiency anemia, cognitive function, and diabetes mellitus. Epidemiology of enteric infections in various populations consists an additional main research area in our group.
Our research involves population-based studies in which we integrate various epidemiological and biostatistical methods, as well as biological markers assessed by immunological and microbiological tools.
Click here for a complete list of Prof. Muhsen's Peer-Reviewed Articles.
- Muhsen K, Ornoy A, Akawi A, Alpert G, Cohen D. Helicobacter pylori infection is associated with diminished cognitive function in children at early school age. BMC Pediatr. 2011;11(1):43. 2. Muhsen K, Nir A, Spungin-Bialik A,
- Muhsen K, Nir A, Spungin-Bialik A, Bassal R, Goren S, Cohen D. Interaction between ethnicity, socioeconomic factors and Helicobacter pylori sero-prevalence among Israeli children and adolescents. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011;53(5):524-7
- Muhsen K, Jurban M, Goren S, Cohen D. Incidence, age of acquisition and risk factors of Helicobacter pylori infection among Israeli Arab infants. J Trop Pediatr. 2012; 58(3):208-213.
- Muhsen K, Cohen D, Spungin-Bialik A, Shohat T. Sero-prevalence, correlates and trends of Helicobacter pylori infection in the Israeli population. Epidemiol Infect. 2012; 140(7):1207-14.
- Cohen D, Baida O, Orr N, Muhsen K. An inverse and independent association between Helicobacter pylori infection and the incidence of shigellosis and other diarrheal disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54(4):e35-42
- Muhsen K. Abed El-Hai R, Amit-Aharon A, Nehama H, Gondia M, Davidovic N, Goren S, Cohen D. Risk factors of underutilization of childhood immunizations in ultraorthodox Jewish communities in Israel despite high access to health care services. Vaccine. 2012;30 (12):2109-15.
- Muhsen K, Levine MM. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between Giardia lamblia and endemic pediatric diarrhea in developing countries. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55 Suppl 4:S271-93.
- Levine MM, Kotloff KL, Nataro JP, Muhsen K. The Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS); Impetus, Rationale and Genesis. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55 Suppl 4:S215-24.
- Farag TH, Nasrin D, Wu Y, Muhsen K, Blackwelder W, Sommerfelt H, Panchalingan S, Nataro JP, Kotloff KL, Levine MM. Some epidemiological, clinical, microbiological and organizational assumptions that influenced the design and performance of GEMS-1. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55 Suppl 4:S225-31.
- Muhsen K, Kassem E, Rubinstein U, Schachter Y, Kremer A, Goren S, Zilberstein I, Ephros M, Cohen D, Shulman ML. Incidence and characteristics of sporadic norovirus gastroenteritis associated with hospitalizations of children < 5 years of age in Israel. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32(6):688-90.
- Kotloff KL, Nataro JP, Blackwelder WC, Nasrin D, Farag TH, Panchalingam S, Wu Y, Sow SO, Sur D, Breiman RF, Faruque AS, Zaidi AK, Saha D, Alonso PL, Tamboura B, Sanogo D, Onwuchekwa U, Manna B, Ramamurthy T, Kanungo S, Ochieng JB, Omore R, Oundo JO, Hossain A, Das SK, Ahmed S, Qureshi S, Quadri F, Adegbola RA, Antonio M, Hossain MJ, Akinsola A, Mandomando I, Nhampossa T, Acácio S, Biswas K,O'Reilly CE, Mintz ED, Berkeley LY, Muhsen K, Sommerfelt H, Robins-Browne RM, Levine MM. Burden and aetiology of diarrhoeal disease in infants and young children in developing countries (the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, GEMS): a prospective, case-control study. Lancet. 2013 ;382(9888):209-22
- Muhsen K, Cohen D, Levine MM. Can Giardia lamblia infection lower the risk of acute diarrhea among pre-school children? J Trop Pediatr. 2014;60(2):99-103.
- Muhsen K, Lagos R, Reymann M, Graham DY, Pasetti MF, Levine MM. Age-dependent association among Helicobacter pylori infection, serum pepsinogen levels and immune response of children to live oral cholera vaccine CVD 103-HgR. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):e83999.
- Muhsen K, Pasetti MF, Reymann MK, Graham DY, Levine MM. Helicobacter pylori infection affects immune responses following vaccination of typhoid-naïve U.S. adults with attenuated Salmonella Typhi oral vaccine CVD 908-htrA. J Infect Dis. 2014; 209(9):1452-8
- Boyd MA, Tennant SM, Saague VA, Simon R, Muhsen K, Ramachandran G, Cross AS, Galen JE, Pasetti MF, Levine MM. Serum bactericidal assays to evaluate typhoidal and nontyphoidal salmonella vaccines. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2014;21(5):712-21.
- Muhsen K, Kassem E, Efraim S, Goren S, Cohen D, Ephros M. Incidence and risk factors for intussusception among children in northern Israel from 1992 to 2009: a retrospective study. BMC Pediatr. 2014;14(1):218.
- Tobias J, Kassem E, Rubinstein U, Bialik A, Vutukuru S, Navaro A, Rokney A, Valinsky L, Ephros M, Cohen D, Muhsen K. Involvement of main diarrheagenic Escherichia coli, with emphasis on enteroaggregative E. coli, in severe non-epidemic pediatric diarrhea in a high-income country. BMC Infect Dis. 2015;15(1):79
- Muhsen K, Goren S. Cohen D. Helicobacter pylori Infection in Early Childhood and Growth at School Age. Helicobacter. 2015;20(6):410-7. doi: 10.1111/hel.12227.
- Muhsen K, Rubenstein U, Kassem E, Goren S, Schachter Y, Kremer A, Shulman L.M, Ephros M, Cohen D. A significant and consistent reduction in rotavirus gastroenteritis hospitalization of children under five years of age, following the introduction of universal rotavirus immunization in Israel. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2015;11(10):2475-82
- Muhsen K, Chodick G, Goren S, Anis E, Ziv-Baran T, Shalev V, Cohen D. Change in incidence of clinic visits for all-cause and rotavirus gastroenteritis in young children following the introduction of universal rotavirus vaccination In Israel. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(42). doi:10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2015.20.42.30045.
- Shindler-Itskovitch T, Ravona-Springer R, Leibovitz A, Muhsen K. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between Helicobacter pylori infection and dementia. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;52(4):1431-42. doi: 10.3233/JAD-160132.
- Sow SO, Muhsen K, Nasrin D, Blackwelder WC, Wu Y, Farag T, Panchalingham S, Sur S, Zaidi AKM, Faruque ASG, Saha D, Adegbola R, Alonso PL, Breiman RF, Q, Tamboura B, Sanogo D, Onwuchekwa U,Manna B , Ramamurthy T, Kanungo S, Ahmed S, Qureshi S , Quadri F, Hossain A, Das SK, Antonio M, Hossain MJ, Mandomando I, Nhampossa T, Acácio S, Omore R, Ochieng JB, Oundo JO, Mintz ED, O’Reilly CE, Berkeley LY, Livio S, Tennant SM , Sommerfelt H, Nataro JP, Ziv-Baran T, Robins-Browne RM, Liu J, Houpt E, Kotloff KL, Levine MM. The burden of Cryptosporidium diarrhea disease among children <24 months of age in moderate/high mortality regions of sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, utilizing data from the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS). PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016;10(5):e0004729. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004729. ¶ Equal contribution as first authors
- Muhsen K, Kassem E, Rubenstein U, Goren S, Ephros M, Cohen D, Shulman L.M. Incidence of rotavirus gastroenteritis hospitalizations and genotypes, before and five years after introducing universal immunization in Israel. Vaccine. 2016 ;34(48):5916-5922.
- Hudak L, Jaraisy A, Haj S, Muhsen K. An updated systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies on the association between Helicobacter pylori infection and iron deficiency anemia. Helicobacter. 2017;22(1). doi: 10.1111/hel.12330.
- Muhsen K, Anis E, Rubinstein U, Kassem E, Goren S, Shulman LM, Ephros M, Cohen D. Effectiveness of rotavirus pentavalent vaccine under a universal immunization program in Israel, 2011-2015: a case-control study. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017 Apr 22. pii: S1198-743X(17)30229-X. doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2017.04.018. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28442435.
Honors and Awards
- Dean's outstanding teacher for the academic year 2014-2015, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- Rothschild Post-doctorate Scholarship - Yad Hanadiv Foundation, Israel
- PhD Scholarship received - Dan David Foundation, Israel
- PhD Scholarship for distinct Israeli Arab PhD students - the Council of Higher Education, and Ministry of Science, Technology and Sport, Israel
- 2013-2017 MAOF award, Higher Council for Education- Israel
- 2013-2016 Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research (Co-PI with Prof. D. Cohen)
- 2014-2016 Israel National Health Policy Research Institute
- 2015-2017 Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research (PI)
- 2016-2018 Israel Ministry of Health (PI)
- 2016-2018 BSF (PI with Prof. MM Levine, USA)