Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health, Tel Aviv University
פרופ' חיתאם מוחסן
Prof. Muhsen joined the School of Public Health in October 2013 as a Senior Lecturer. In 2017 she received her tenure and was promoted to Associate Professor.
Prof. Muhsen started her career as a pediatric and public health nurse in Arab villages in northern Israel. In 2005, she completed her master's degree in Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (with distinction) and in 2011, she completed her Ph.D. degree (Mentor Prof. Daniel Cohen). Prof. Muhsen completed a 2-year (2011-2013) postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for Vaccine Development at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (MD, USA), under the mentorship of Prof. Myron M. Levine.
In October 2013, she established her research group and laboratory at the School of Public Health in Tel Aviv University.
- Epidemiology of infectious disease.
- Helicobacter pylori, enteric infections, the gut microbiome and their role in health and disease.
- Sero-epidemiological studies
- Health disparities
My main research fields is the epidemiology of infectious disease, including the assessment of disease burden, risk factors and populations' exposure to various pathogens, utilization sero-epidemiological tools.
Helicobacter pylori infection is acquired during early childhood. It causes chronic gastritis, which mostly remains asymptomatic; however in a small portion of the infected people H. pylori causes peptic ulcers and gastric cancer. Our research focuses on the role of H. pylori in extragastric diseases such as iron deficiency anemia, cognitive function, and diabetes mellitus. Epidemiology of enteric infections in various populations consists an additional main research area in our group. Nowadays, we also assess the role of the gut microbiome in children's health and development.
Our research involves population-based studies in which we integrate various epidemiological and biostatistical methods, as well as biological markers assessed by immunological and microbiological tools.
Following the emergence of SARS-Cov-2 and its introduction to the Israeli population in early 2020, we began a series of sero-epidemiological studies in the Israeli population, to assess the acquisition and transmission of the infection in populations at risk such as households of COVID-19 patients, and health care workers. We also assess the acquisition and persistence of the humoral immune response to SARS-Cov-2 in COVID-19 patients.
My research involves population-based studies in which I integrate various epidemiological and biostatistical methods, as well as biological markers assessed by immunological and microbiological tools.
Click here for a complete list of Prof. Muhsen's Peer-Reviewed Articles.
- Muhsen K, Shulman L, Rubinstein U, Kasem E, Kremer A, Goren S, Zilberstein I, Chodick G, Ephros M, Cohen D, for the TAU-HCLV Rota Study Group. Incidence, characteristics and economic burden of rotavirus gastroenteritis associated with hospitalizations among Israeli children less than five years old. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2009; 200 Suppl 1:S254-S263..
- Na'amnih W, Muhsen K, Tarabeia J, Saabneh A, Green M. Trends in the gap in life expectancy between Arabs and Jews in Israel between 1975 and 2004. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2010;39(5):1324-1332
- Muhsen K, Ornoy A, Akawi A, Alpert G, Cohen D. Helicobacter pylori infection is associated with diminished cognitive function in children at early school age. BMC Pediatrics. 2011;11(1):43.
- Cohen D, Baida O, Orr N, Muhsen K. An inverse and independent association between Helicobacter pylori infection and the incidence of shigellosis and other diarrheal disease. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2012; 54(4):e35-42
- Muhsen K, Levine MM. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between Giardia lamblia and endemic pediatric diarrhea in developing countries. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2012;55 Suppl 4:S271-93.
- Levine MM, Kotloff KL, Nataro JP, Muhsen K. The global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS); Impetus, Rationale and Genesis. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2012;55 Suppl 4:S215-24.
- Kotloff KL, Nataro JP, Blackwelder WC, Nasrin D, Farag TH, Panchalingam S, Wu Y, Sow SO, Sur D, Breiman RF, Faruque AS, Zaidi AK, Saha D, Alonso PL, Tamboura B, Sanogo D, Onwuchekwa U, Manna B, Ramamurthy T, Kanungo S, Ochieng JB, Omore R, Oundo JO, Hossain A, Das SK, Ahmed S, Qureshi S, Quadri F, Adegbola RA, Antonio M, Hossain MJ, Akinsola A, Mandomando I, Nhampossa T, Acácio S, Biswas K,O'Reilly CE, Mintz ED, Berkeley LY, Muhsen K, Sommerfelt H, Robins-Browne RM, Levine MM. Burden and aetiology of diarrhoeal disease in infants and young children in developing countries (the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, GEMS): a prospective, case-control study. Lancet. 2013 ;382(9888):209-22
- Muhsen K, Lagos R, Reymann M, Graham DY, Pasetti MF, Levine MM. Age-dependent association among Helicobacter pylori infection, serum pepsinogen levels and immune response of children to live oral cholera vaccine CVD 103-HgR. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):e83999.
- Muhsen K, Pasetti MF, Reymann MK, Graham DY, Levine MM. Helicobacter pylori infection affects immune responses following vaccination of typhoid-naïve U.S. adults with attenuated Salmonella Typhi oral vaccine CVD 908-htrA. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2014; 209(9):1452-8
- Muhsen K, Chodick G, Goren S, Anis E, Ziv-Baran T, Shalev V, Cohen D. Change in incidence of clinic visits for all-cause and rotavirus gastroenteritis in young children following the introduction of universal rotavirus vaccination In Israel. EuroSurveillance. 2015;20(42).
- Shindler-Itskovitch T, Ravona-Springer R, Leibovitz A, Muhsen K. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between Helicobacter pylori infection and dementia. Journal of Alzheimers Disease. 2016;52(4):1431-42.
- Sow SO *, Muhsen K *, Nasrin D, Blackwelder WC, Wu Y, Farag T, Panchalingham S, Sur S, Zaidi AKM, Faruque ASG, Saha D, Adegbola R, Alonso PL, Breiman RF, Q, Tamboura B, Sanogo D, Onwuchekwa U,Manna B , Ramamurthy T, Kanungo S, Ahmed S, Qureshi S , Quadri F, Hossain A, Das SK, Antonio M, Hossain MJ, Mandomando I, Nhampossa T, Acácio S, Omore R, Ochieng JB, Oundo JO, Mintz ED, O’Reilly CE, Berkeley LY, Livio S, Tennant SM , Sommerfelt H, Nataro JP, Ziv-Baran T, Robins-Browne RM, Liu J, Houpt E, Kotloff KL, Levine MM. The burden of Cryptosporidium diarrhea disease among children <24 months of age in moderate/high mortality regions of sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, utilizing data from the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS). PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2016;10(5):e0004729. *Equal contribution
- Muhsen K, Kassem E, Rubenstein U, Goren S, Ephros M, Cohen D, Shulman LM Incidence of rotavirus gastroenteritis hospitalizations and genotypes, before and five years after introducing universal immunization in Israel. Vaccine. 2016;34(48):5916-5922.
- Hudak L, Jaraisy A, Haj S, Muhsen K. An updated systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies on the association between Helicobacter pylori infection and iron deficiency anemia. Helicobacter. 2017;22(1).
- Muhsen K, Anis E, Rubinstein U, Kassem E, Goren S, Shulman LM, Ephros M, Cohen D. Effectiveness of rotavirus pentavalent vaccine under a universal immunization program in Israel, 2011-2015: a case-control study. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2018;24(1):53-59.
- Muhsen K, Green MS, Soskolne V, Neumark Y. Inequalities in non-communicable diseases between the major population groups in Israel: achievements and challenges. Lancet 2017 389(10088):2531-2541.
- Haj S, Chodick C, Refalei R, Goren S, Shalev V, Muhsen K. Associations of Helicobacter pylori infection and peptic disease with diabetic mellitus: results from a large population-based study. PLoS One. 2017;12(8):e0183687.
- Beer-Davidson G, Hindiyeh M, Muhsen K. The detection of Helicobacter pylori in stool samples of young children using real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction. Helicobacter 2018;23(1).
- Refaeli R, Chodick G, Haj S, Goren S, Shalev V, Muhsen K. Relationships of H. pylori infection and its related gastroduodenal morbidity with metabolic syndrome: a large cross-sectional study. Scientific Reports, 2018;8(1):4088.
- Shindler-Itskovitch T, Chodick G, Shalev V, Muhsen K. Helicobacter pylori infection and prevalence of stroke. Helicobacter. 2019;24(1):e12553.
- Muhsen K, Sinnreich R, Beer-Davidson G, Nassar H, Cohen D, Kark JD. Sero-prevalence of Helicobacter pylori CagA immunoglobulin G antibody, serum pepsinogens and haemoglobin levels in adults. Scientific Reports. 2018;8(1):17616.
- Vidal RM*, Muhsen K*, Tennant S*, Svennerholm AM, Sow S, Sur D, Zaidi A, Faruque ASG, Saha D, Adegbola R, Hossain J, Alonso PL, Breiman RF, Bassat Q, Tamboura B, Sanogo D, Onwuchekwa U, Byomkesh Manna B, Ramamurthy T, Kanungo S, Ahmed S, Qureshi S, Quadri F, Hossain A, Das SK, Antonio M, Mandomando I, Nhampossa T, Acácio S, Omore R, Ochieng J, Oundo J, Mintz E, O’Reilly C, Berkeley L, Livio S, Panchalingam S, Nasrin D, Farag T, Wu Y, Sommerfelt H, Robins-Browne R, Canto FD, Hazen T, Rasko D, Kotloff K, Nataro J, Levine MM. Colonization factors among enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli isolates from children with moderate-to-severe diarrhea in the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS). PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019;13(1):e0007037. * Equal contributions
- Muhsen K, Sinnreich R, Merom D. Beer-Davidson G, Nassar H, Cohen D, Kark JD. The prevalence and determinants of serological evidence of atrophic gastritis among Arab and Jewish residents of Jerusalem BMJ Open. 2019; 9(1):e024689.
- Katz D, Ben-Chetrit E, Sherer S, Cohen D, Muhsen K. Correlates of non-typhoidal Salmonella bacteraemia: a case-control study. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019; 81:170-175
- Cohen D, Korin H, Bassal R, Perry Markovich M, Sivan Y, Goren S, Muhsen K. Burden and risk factors of Shigella sonnei shigellosis in hyperendemic communities in Israel: trend analysis and case-control study. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019; 82:117-123..
- Kassem E, Na'amnih W, Bdair-Amsha A, Zahalkah H, Muhsen K. Comparison between ethnic groups in hospitalizations for respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis in Israel. Plos One 2019;14(4):e0214197.
- Sagie Sh, Na'amnih W, Frej J, Cohen D, Alpert G, Muhsen K. Correlates of hospitalizations in internal medicine departments among adults with hypertension, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases of different ethnic groups in Israel. Plos One 2019;14(4):e0215639.
- Bercovich S, Anis E, Kassem E, Rubinstein U, Ephros M, Cohen D, Muhsen K. Validation of maternal reports of rotavirus vaccination of their children compared to the national immunization registry. Vaccine. 2019;37(21):2791-2796.
- Muhsen K, Sinnreich R, Merom D, Nassar, Cohen D, Kark JD. Helicobacter pylori infection, serum pepsinogens as markers of atrophic gastritis and leukocyte telomere length: a population-based study. Human Genomics 2019;13(1):32.
- Na'amnih W, Katz R, Goren S, Ben-Tov A, Ziv-Baran T, Chodick G, Muhsen K. Correlates of gastroenterology health-services utilization among patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease: a large database analysis. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research 2019;8(1):66.
- Muhsen K, Sinnreich R, Beer-Davidson G, Nassar H, Abu Ahmad W, Cohen D, Kark JD. Determinants of Helicobacter pylori infection according to cytotoxin–associated gene A phenotype in an ethnically diverse population. Epidemiology and Infection 2019;147:e276.
- Muhsen K, Na'amnih W, Adler A, Carmeli Y, Cohen D. Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and Helicobacter pylori sero-prevalence: a case-control study. Helicobacter. 2020;25(1):e12668.
- Ben-Tov A, Na'amnih W, Bdair-Amsha A, Cohen S, Tzamir J, Chodick G, Muhsen K. A survey of primary-care pediatricians regarding the management of Helicobacter pylori infection and celiac disease. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research. 2019;8(1):88.
- Muhsen K , Haklai Z, Applbaum Y, Gordon E, Shteiman A, Glatman-Freedman A, Leshem E Effects of rotavirus vaccine on all-cause acute gastroenteritis and rotavirus hospitalizations in Israel: a nationwide analysis. Vaccine. 2020;38(10):2406-2415.
- Na'amnih W, Ben-Tov A, Bdair-Amsha A, Cohen S, Tsamir J, Chodick G, Muhsen K. Physicians' adherence to management guidelines for H. pylori infection and gastroesophageal reflux disease Israel Journal of Health Policy Research. 2020;9(1):28
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, Reichman B, Afek A, Derazne E, Tzur D, Hamiel U, Bader T, Muhsen K, Twig G. Socioeconomic inequalities and severe obesity - sex differences in a nationwide study of 1.12 million Israeli adolescents. Pediatrics Obesity. 2020; 15(12):e12681
- Elias N, Nasrallah E, Khoury C, Mansour B, Abu Zuher L, Asato V, Muhsen K. Associations of Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric inflammation with pediatric asthma. Pediatrics Pulmonology. 2020; 55(9):2236-2245
- Margalit I, Goldberg E, Ben Ari Y, Ben-Zvi H, Shostak Y, Krause I, Muhsen K. Risk factors for nocardiosis: a matched case-control study. Scientific Reports 2020;10(1):14272.
- Na'amnih W, Carmeli Y, Asato V, Goren S, Adler A, Cohen D, Muhsen K. Enhanced humoral immune responses against toxin A and B of Clostridium difficile is associated with a milder disease manifestation, Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020;9(10):3241.
- Muhsen K, Sow OS, Tapia M.D, Haidara F.C, Reymann M, Asato V, Chen W.H, Pasetti F.M, Levine M.M. Pre-existing Helicobacter pylori serum IgG enhances the vibriocidal antibody response to CVD 103-HgR live oral cholera vaccine in Malian adults. Scientific Reports. 2020;10(1):16871.
Honors and Awards
As a faculty member
- The Tel University Present Award for promoting women's education in minority groups, 2019
- Recognition award, Faradis town council, 2019 Women's Day
- Publication Award, 2017, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- Dean's outstanding teacher, 2016-2017, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- Dean's outstanding teacher, 2014-2015, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
As a post-doctoral fellow
- Rothschild post-doctoratal scholarship - Yad Hanadiv Foundation, Israel
As a PhD student
- PhD Scholarship, Dan David Foundation, Israel
- PhD Scholarship for distinct Israeli Arab PhD students, Council of Higher Education and Ministry of Science, Technology and Sport, Israel
- 2013-2017 MAOF award, Higher Council for Education- Israel
- 2013-2016 Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research (Co-PI with Prof. D. Cohen)
- 2014-2016 Israel National Health Policy Research Institute
- 2015-2017 Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research (PI)
- 2016-2018 Israel Ministry of Health (PI)
- 2016-2018 Binational Science Foundation (PI with Prof. MM Levine, USA)
- 2018-2019 Stlotz Fund, Internal Funding Tel Aviv University Sackler Faculty of Medicine (PI
- 2018-2021 Israel National Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research (PI)
- 2019-2021 Israel Science Foundation (PI)
- 2020-2021 Milner Foundation
- 2020-2023 Israel Ministry of Health (PI)
- 2020-2021 Ending Pandemics, Sandia National Laboratories