- Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, Tel Aviv University
- Researecher, Biostatistics Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer, Ramat Gan, Israel
ד"ר עמית הופרט
2002-2004 Postdoctoral Scholar. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Woods Hole , MA, USA.
1997-2002 Ph.D. Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Life Science, Department of Zoology.
Thesis: Modelling Phytoplankton Blooms.
- Mathematical modeling
- Infectious diseases
- Developing and applying statistical methods for parameter inference for disease models
- Pathogen predators and their use in the environment and in treatment
- Developing intervention and vaccination policies to curtail and mitigate infectious diseases
I am interested in the interactions between environmental factors and the spread of infectious diseases. I use a combination of mathematical modelling and data analysis to understand how different environmental factors - such as climate, demography and habitat - affect the spatio-temporal spread of infectious diseases. I have been studying diseases which are directly transmitted (influenza, pneumonia), childhood infections (measles, mumps), vector-borne (leishmaniasis, malaria), sexual transmission (HPV) and enteric diseases (polio, shigella). I also combine laboratory experiments and statistical models to better estimate parameters for the use of mathematical models. An important goal of my research is to translate the academic findings and knowledge into policy setting, and improve decision-making processes.
Click here for a complete list of Dr. Huppert's Peer-Reviewed Articles.
- Huppert, A. and L. Stone. 1998. Chaos in the Pacific’s coral reef bleaching cycle: a model. The American Naturalist 152:447-459.
- Stone, L., P. I. Saparin, A. Huppert and C. Price. 1998. El Niño chaos: The role of noise and stochastic resonance on the ENSO cycle. Geophysical Research Letters, 25:175-178.
- Price, C., L. Stone, A. Huppert, B. Rajagopalan and P. Alpert. 1998. A Possible link between El Niño and precipitation in Israel. Geophysical Research Letters 25:3963-3966(21).
- Huppert, A., L. Stone, B. Rajagopalan and Y. Loya. 1998. The Pacific’s coral reef bleaching cycle - An outcome of increased El Niño activity and inter-decadal climate change? Israel Journal Of Zoology (Abstracts), 44:75-76.
- Blasius, B., A. Huppert and L. Stone. 1999. Complex dynamics and phase synchronization in spatially extended ecological systems. Nature 339:354-359(6734).
- Stone, L., A. Huppert, B. Rajagopalan, H. Bhasin and Y. Loya. 1999. The Pacific’s coral reef bleaching cycle - An outcome of increased El Niño activity and inter-decadal climate change? Ecology Letters 2:325-330 (5).
- Huppert, A,. B. Blasius and L. Stone, 2002. A model of phytoplankton blooms. The American Naturalist 159:156-171.
- Stone. L., R. Olinky, B. Blasius, A. Huppert and B. Cazelles, 2002 Complex synchronization phenomena in ecological systems. in S. Boccaletti, J. Kurths, L.M. Pecora, M.L. Spano, ed., 6th Experimenal Chaos Conference, American Institute of Physics, 622: 476-488.
- Solow, A. R. and A. Huppert. 2003. On non-stationarity of ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 30:1910-1913(17).
- Huppert, A., B. Blasius and L. Stone, 2004. What minimal models can tell. A reply to van Nes and Scheffer. The American Naturalist. 163: 927-929.
- Huppert, A. and A.R. Solow. 2004 Comment on “Deconvolving the seawater component from subseasonal coral and Sr/Ca at Rarotonga in the southwestern subtropical Pacific for the period 1726 to 1997”. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. 68 (14): 3137-3138.
- Huppert, A., R. Olinky and L., Stone. 2004. Bottom-Up excitable models of phytoplankton blooms. The Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 66 (4): 865-878.
- Huppert, A. and A.R. Solow. 2004. A method for reconstructing climate from fossil beetle assemblages. Proceedings of the Royal Society London B. 271: 1125-1128.
- Solow, A. R. and A. Huppert, 2004. A potential bias in coral reconstruction of sea surface temperature. Geophysical Research Letters. 31 (6): Art. No. L06308.
- Solow, A. R. and Huppert, A. 2004. Optimal multi-proxy reconstruction of sea surface temperature from corals. Paleoceanography.19 (4): Art. No. PA4004.
- Huppert, A., B. Blasius, R. Olinky and L., Stone. 2005. A seasonally forced phytoplankton bloom model. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 236(3): 276-290.
- Huppert, A. and A.R. Solow. 2005. Reassessing US coral reefs. Science. 308: 1740-1740.
- Stone , L.,* Olinky, R*., and Huppert*, A. 2007 Seasonal dynamics of recurrent epidemics. Nature 446: 533-536. *Authors contributed equally.
- Olinky, R., Huppert, A., and Stone , L. 2008. Seasonal dynamics and thresholds governing recurrent epidemics. Journal of Mathematical Biology 56:827-839.
- Huppert A., Katriel H., Yaari R., Barnea O., Roll U., Stern E., Balicer R. and Stone L. 2010, Mathematical Models as a Tool for Studying and Developing Strategies in the Case of a Pandemic Influenza Outbreak. Harefuah, 149:4-8 (in Hebrew, English abstract).
- Katriel G, Yaari R, Huppert A, Roll U, and Stone L. Modelling the initial phase of an epidemic using incidence and infection network data: 2009 H1N1 pandemic in Israel as a case study. . J. R. Soc. Interface 6 June 2011 vol. 8 no. 59 856-867.
- Roll U, Yaari R, Katriel G, Barnea O, Stone L, Mendelson E Mandelboim M and Huppert A. Onset of a pandemic: characterizing the initial phase of the swine flu (H1N1) epidemic in Israel. BMC Infectious Disease 2011, 11:92.
- Huppert A, Barnea O, Katriel G, Yaari R, Roll U, and Stone L. Modeling and statistical analysis of the spatio-temporal patterns of seasonal influenza in Israel. 2012 PLoS ONE 7(10): e45107. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045107
- Yaari R., Katriel G., Huppert A., Axelsen J.B. and Stone L. Modeling seasonal influenza: the role of weather and punctuated antigenic drift. 2013 R. Soc. Interface 10: 20130298. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2013.0298
- A Huppert*, G Katriel*. Mathematical modeling and prediction in infectious disease epidemiology. Clin Microbiol Infect 2013; 19: 999–1005 *Authors contributed equally.
- Simkovitch R, Huppert A, Huppert D, Remington J and Miller Y. Proton transfer in wild-type GFP and s205v mutant is reduced by conformational changes of reduced in the proton-wire. J. Phys. Chem. B 2013, 117, 11921−11931
- Miller E and Huppert A. The effects of host diversity on vector-borne disease: The conditions under which diversity will amplify or dilute the disease risk. PLoS ONE 8(11): e80279. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0080279
- Barnea O, Huppert A, Katriel G, and Stone L. Spatio-temporal homogeneity and heterogeneity in Influenza epidemics in Israel. PLoS ONE 9(3): e91909. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091909
- Miller, E., Warburg, A., Novikov, I., Hailu, A., Volf, P., Seblova, V., and Huppert, A. (2014). Quantifying the Contribution of Hosts with Different Parasite Concentrations to the Transmission of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Ethiopia. PLoS neglected tropical diseases, 8(10), e3288.
- Daana, M., Rahav, G., Hamdan, A., Thalji, A., Jaar, F., Abdeen, Z., Jaber H, Goral A, Huppert A, Raz M & Regev-Yochay G, & PICR study group. (2015). Measuring the effects of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) on Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage and antibiotic resistance. Vaccine (2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. vaccine.2015.01.003
- Miller E, Huppert A, Novikov L, Warburg A, Hailu A, Abassi I, Freedma LS. Estimation of disease prevalence and sensitivity in a stratified two-stage sampling design employing highly specific diagnostic tests when there is no gold standard (2015). Statistics in medicine, 34(25), 3349-3361
- Lewnard, J. A., Givon-Lavi, N., Huppert, A., Pettigrew, M. M., Regev-Yochay, G., Dagan, R., & Weinberger, D. M. (2015). Epidemiological markers for interactions among Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Staphylococcus aureus in upper respiratory tract carriage. Journal of Infectious Diseases, jiv761.
- Miller E, Dushoff J, & Huppert A. The risk of incomplete personal protection in vector borne disease (in press)